Tuesday, December 6

Stupicide

This is defined as self-inflicted death doing something monumentally dumb. Whether or not this leaves someone eligible for a Darwin is a matter of some debate.

I draw your attention to this article.

The mother of our late, lamented dearly departed has called for a ban on these "pen guns"















Right.

That's the equivalent of banning pharmaceuticals to prevent overdoses, or Mama Cass' family calling for a ban on roast beef to avoid senseless chokings.

Granted, this death is a tragedy for its sheer preventability and I do question the necessity of such firearms on the open market. There's a reason why any group using firearms spend so much time on safety precautions; to prevent dumb shit like this from happening.

If the NRA and their supporters want to enforce their somewhat misinterpreted rights (insofar as I understand them, and I'm not an expert) under the Second Amendment, let there be a campaign on safe handling instead.

Maybe that makes too much sense.

(I'm sure I'll piss someone off with this post, but....)

5 comments:

Penny said...

Woohoo, congrats, hon. :oD

When I read things like this, my first thought is generally:

I hope he didn't breed before doing such a stupid thing.

I know it's not nice, but anyone who is stupid enough to put a gun to his head...even in jest... is a moron that should be sterilized.

Frank said...

The part that always ticks me off about stories like this is they way they are spun from the very beginning.

"Pen Gun Kills Budding Rap Singer"

As if the pen gun got pissed off, jumped up and shot the idiot on its own. The headline should be "Budding Rap Singer Shoots Himself".

Kal said...

Now now, I can see the point of a pen gun. You never know when some final exam may rear up and try to eat you, making it necessary to shoot them with your pen gun.

Brings new meaning to "bust a cap in his ass", eh?

Mossy Stone said...

Bald: Welcome! I agree that the spin puts all the blame on the firearm. Does that qualify as a "weapons malfunction"?

(I dunno...I think it functioned just fine.)

Kal: If you keep saying "eh" we're going to send you a Canadian Passport so you can come out of the closet.

Kal said...

It's horrible: I read you and penny and dani and get a hankering for figgy duff

I'm a New Englander: we'd fit right in Canada, after all Nova Scotia is made up of descendants of folks who took off from Mass. during the revolution and were officially banished and subjected to "suffer the pain of death without benefit of clergy" if they came back unless they got specific pardons from the General Court (our legislature) beforehand.