Tuesday, September 12

Tidbits

Straight out of the "WTF?" file, hockey fans will be aghast to see that the New York Islanders have engaged in their latest round of silliness. Not content with signing Alexei Yashin to his 10yr-$70M contract, or with replacing easy come, easy go GM Neil Smith with their backup Goalie (Hello, Garth Snow), but the Isles finally went off the deep end. They had drafted Rick DiPietro as their goalie of the future a few years back and, well, its tough for a guy to play well behind a bad team. Just ask Marc-Andre Fleury. Anyway, Charles Wang (owner) decided that he really wanted to hang on to DiPietro. So he offered him a new contract.

A 15 year contract.

Worth $67.5M.

Guaranteed if he suffers a career-ending injury.

Holy crap.

=======

In other news...NASCAR officially created a new racing series in Canada - the Canadian Tire Series - by purchasing CASCAR (the small-time Canadian Stock Car circuit.)

Because Canada needs this. Really, we do. Because there wasn't enough reason to put a "3" sticker, complete with halo and wings, on your Monte Carlo or other GM product. News flash, folks. It was a race. He's Dead. Get over it. You don't see people doing that for Greg Moore or Gilles Villeneuve, do you? ~sheesh~

=========

A shout out to the folks over at Boatmen Blog (see links). I tripped over them today (first useful link I've found from the Red Star of Toronto, I mean Pravda, I mean, The Toronto Star. All those crazy-ass Argo fans can get their Frank D'Angelo bashing joys there.

=========

Condi Rice was apparently in Halifax yesterday to offer her thanks to the many Haligonians who took travellers in when flights were diverted because of 9-11. Wonder if she had to look for it on a map.

=========

The Steph actually Audioblogged. Colour me floored.

=========

I'm generally in a Fuck You kind of mood today. Could you tell? Oh, and, Larry? Lemme know how that new relationship is working out for ya. ;-)

6 comments:

Dtrini said...

Colour me confused. NASCAR? Only a race? Who is dead exactly? Huh?!??

Condi had Timmy's. Uhm, why do Americans still not know what a double-double is?

Way to go Islanders. NHL is need of some good controversy because how else will they get press?

What are you doing with my mood? Give it back!

Penny said...

You cannot tell me that being stuck at home with a whiny and sick wife who required 24/7 nursing didn't colour your mood.

Sorry, baby. :(

I bet you're glad to be back at work.

Callie said...

I just think it's in the air today. Most everyone I talk to is in the same mood.

btw - what is a 'Timmy's'?? And just so Dtrini knows - our double/double means double burger/double cheese. Nummy. Great. Now I want a cheeseburger. Grrrr. What does yours mean?

What? You don't want us to export NASCAR to you? You already have a sport where the players are missing most of their teeth. Don't you want one where the spectators are missing theirs??

Penny said...

Double-double is Tim Horton's Coffee-talk for double cream, double sugar.

Tim Horton's is the BEST coffee around (because, unlike Starpuke's it doesn't rot a hole in your stomach) and it's a national addiction.

And please...keep your NASCAR. Our toothless NASCAR fans travel down south to see the races. We're really hoping you keep 'em. :P

Larry said...

*cou-screw you-gh*

:P

Dtrini said...

Ohmigawd, you guys had me laughing out loud for real at work. Just too funny.

Now I want a cheeseburger. But it has to be a homemade type, with real not processed cheese crap, preferably shredded on top to melt in just right with a large pickle slice lovingly laid across the top, a dash of ketchup, relish and mustard (dijon or honey) and a thick juicy slice of tomato. Oh my, I think I need to change.

I actually like NASCAR ad have a bunch of friends (ok, admittedly almost all from the pond and one self-proclaimed part-time redneck) who travel down for a couple of events each year. I said I would go one year just to piss off a few people who care to keep the rednecks "red". Hee hee. Honestly, I have the morbid fascination on when the next major pileup will happen. Suhweeeeeet.