Saturday, July 5

My name is Vila. Bob Vila.

Today began the work in the long-overdue leveling of the front walk. It looked okay before the deck went on last summer, but not so much now.

So after shopping today we got started on the first part, removing the stones and clearing out the weeds and soil accumulating between the pavers. Ironically, while we have many patchy spots on our lawn, we manage to grow a bumper crop of weeds between the stones in the walk.

It was a rather mindless, dirty job, but we managed to get all the stones out, all the weeds out, and most of the aggregate re-leveled. However, a little research showed that the bozo who put in the stones didn't really do it right. So when we go to pick up the big tamper tomorrow, we will also pick up the appropriate edge barriers (to prevent the stones from slipping and spreading), the cloth barrier (to prevent weeds from growing), and the sand to lay over the aggregate and to brush over and inbetween the stones to bind them all together. If done correctly, the online sources tell me the walk should last a good 20 years.

I figure by the time the task rolls around again, I'll have recovered from this one.

We won't talk about those big-ass 2'x2' pavers in the back that still have to come up and get sorted out. I'm not naive enough to think they were laid down properly in the first place. But, yeah, I know it will have to be done too.

Maybe next weekend....

(Edit: The task was largely done Sunday night and everything hurt afterward. All that's left to do is re-positioning the edging, adding more sand to the gaps in the stones, and re-installing the stairs on the porch. If the "fuck you" signals I was receiving from my muscles are any indication, I will definitely neeed to make the back patio refresh a 2-person job.)

Ow...

8 comments:

Callie said...

And when you're done, you can come over to my house, and do it all over again.

*snicker/giggle*

However, I have a nice pool and hot tub to relax in afterwards.

And plenty of adult beverages to keep the workers motivated (or at least completely oblivious).

:-D

Penny said...

The pool sounds good, but the California heat? Maybe not so much. LOL. I say we come over and set the guys to work. You and I can supervise from the pool...with said adult beverages.

What do you think?

Callie said...

That sounds like a plan. Plus, if we get the delta breezes in the evening, and it cools down, we can hop into the hot tub!

The men may join us after they clean up . . .

;-P

Mossy Stone said...

Cleaning. Cleaning? What is this "Cleaning" you speak of?

Larry said...

It's womens' work, dude. Try not to think about it.

Penny said...

And this is why Larry's still single?

Mossy Stone said...

I think she got ya there, pal.

Larry said...

I'm just waiting for the right one. You know, the one that knows that cleaning is a woman's job. :P

I kid. I was just saying it cuz I knew it would get a response. And it is only one of the many, many reasons that I am still single.