Sunday, October 5

5 Provinces over 3 Days, or, How I Spent My Weekend.


Wow.

Courtesy of Google Earth, you see the route taken by yours truly and his father-in-law in the latest episode of the Stone/Shagwell in-law Support Operation. Penny and I flew out to Newfie on Sept 30, and she and her mother flew back on the 3rd. Her father and I dropped them at the airport in Gander (a pale shadow of itself from its heyday as the key Transatlantic stopover point) and we headed for their place in Pickering.

Note to future Newfoundland Travelers: I actively encourage you to visit this Province. It really is a rich experience, particularly for those who like a more grounded and wholesome populace with no pretentions. However, don't underestimate the size of The Rock. I know people who think they can "Do Newfoundland" in a day (yes, I am talking about YOU...you know who you are). It took Dad and I the better part of 8 hours just to drive from Gander to Port-aux-Basques to pick up the Ferry. (Oh yes, the Ferry. IF you go, book ahead. Reservations are needed if you want to avoid sitting on your ass in the ferry terminal queue line on a stand-by ticket...that didn't happen to us, but I figured I should give you the heads-up, dear reader.)

Anywhoodle, Dad and I slept, more or less, during the overnight the Ferry crossing, then went from Sydney to Montmagny, QC. We had enough energy to push past the planned stop in Riviere-du-Loup (translated into English as 'Wolf River') and got closer to Quebec City. I managed to get a half-decent sleep in the motel that night, and we roared in from Montmagny to Pickering.

Penny was very happy to see us both and we endured a mind-numbing trip to get groceries for a fridge we hadn't seen in 6 days.

We are home, safe, and sound, although somewhat travel weary.

Penny will blog the details surrounding the need to head eastward. Just as soon as her brains stop pouring our her ears...

8 comments:

Outburst said...

Thought I could do PEI in a day. Was wrong. The Rock is what, 50 times that size?
That's quite the drive though. I once went from Toronto to Halifax in 18 hours (with an hour stopover in Montreal) and I swore I would never do it again.

Dirty Gypsy said...

One of these days, I've got to visit Canada. And I expect you and Penny to be my tour guides!

Larry said...

I once drove from Philadelphia to St. Louis...No wait, I did that like 10 times.

Okay, so that is not nearly as impressive as a trip from a huge island, on a ferry, through three seperate languages(yeah, I consider Newfie a seperate language) and home.

Why wouldn't you just fly? Goofy.

Mossy Stone said...

Larry: see Penny's blog for the explanation. I was planning to fly back, but it didn't quite work out that way.

OB: The Rock is a pretty big place and amazingly scenic when you head west of Gander. There were some really hilly areas where I would have sworn I was in the Alberta foothills.

Steph: Any time you wanna come North, we'd be glad to have you :D

Penny said...

YOU!!!!!

It's been THREE FRACKIN' WEEKS.

Blog, man, BLOG!

(love you, hunny)

Callie said...

Penny says I should nag.

Nag nag nag nag nag nag.

:-D

Motherdear said...

Awright, already. Blog something. Tell us about your boy and how wonderful he is. Brag some. Write. Type. Write. Two lines, that's all we ask.

You're a POO!!!

Motherdear said...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...