Monday, June 5

Sunday is a day of what?

(Holy crap, I haven't blogged since Wednesday!! Must be a sign of the apocalypse or something)
According to someone's religion - if you subscribe to that sort of thing - Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest. Of course, my mother never went for that argument when I was a kid and being directed to clean my room, etc. Damned lapsed protestants...

But, I digress.

This Sunday was the Ride for Heart. The 5AM alarm came mighty fucking early that morning. Even on a lousy nights' sleep I managed to remember everything I needed to bring and made it there in one piece. The Bat Rider and I were teamed up for the ride. He's as much a howl outside of work as he is in the office. He's far more regular rider than I am (as his blog shows) and he kept me hustling at a good pace. We were yakking and doing character assassinations all along the way (all the technicolour, spandex-clad Tour de France wanna-bes were the perfect fodder.) Some people take this shit a little too seriously. There was a bit of a lineup for our Early Bird start, but when we hit the Finish line and saw the HUGE number of people headed for the 8:15 start we figured we made the right call. I goofed in my initial estimate. There weren't 3,000 riders, there were over 13,000 riders. Holy crap! The photo gives you an idea of what the early stage of the 8:15 ride was like.

2006 Becel Ride for Heart.  Early stage of the 8:15 start near Jameson Ave.  Photo Credit:  CANOE and the Toronto Sun













My legs were okay afterwards, but geezus, my ass was sore. Bike seats must be some kind of BDSM-inspired device.

There was no rest for the wicked, because after I got home Penny and I were yard-work demons. We weeded, we fertilized and we added some more edging to the front garden, picked up some better soil and stuff to mix in and feed all the greenery, and we did managed to get the lawn mowed. (Please remind me to get our own mower fixed...cuz that 6.5HP fucker from next door is a complete bitch to move around the yard.) By the time that was all done, I was done.

On our way out to DW for a little Blizzard reward, we met our new neighbours (2 doors down) and it turns out that the Wife and I have mutual friends and we've seen one another on the GO. The joys of suburbia and commuting. *bliss*

But after all that work, I was toast. According to Penny, I crashed around 9:30PM and I didn't surface until 7 this morning. I opened my eyes a couple of times after 4AM, but that was it. Fortunately, I'm not feeling any soreness (other than on my ass from my bike seat) and I am - for the moment - tempted to do the 50km ride next year.

And here I sit thinking that it's time for coffee.

(BTW, we did slip out to go see X-MEN 3. Wicked movie. I discovered that the "Xavier School" as shown in the movie is actually the campus of Royal Roads University. Wonder if this means I'll come back as a mutant??)

7 comments:

Penny said...

Umm honey? What photo?

We both failed to mention the kitchen incident on Saturday. LOL

Mossy Stone said...

I was saving the kitchen incident for another time.

Photo fixed.

Kal said...

Kitchen incident? Color me intrigued.

What kind of mutant would you prefer? I myself would like to have superhuman strength, so I could be an unstoppable fullback for the New England Patriots...

(or have x-ray vision. Yeah, definitely x-ray vision.)

Bat-Rider said...

I have to express my thanks to “The Stone” for letting me roll with him and his influence in getting me to sign up for the event because I was a bit reluctant to participate, I am not that much a corporate guy – having said that it was well worth it, great company and an enjoyable ride (minus the bearing-less knobs doing time trials at a family event)

One thing still puzzles me - l fail to understand why at the Ride for Heart and stroke they didn’t server up the bacon and fried eggs?

Cheers – next year, Same time, Same Channel

Mossy Stone said...

Kal: X-Ray vision? All the better to reveal the secrets of Halle Berry's underwire bra??

BR: I had a blast. Let's do the 50km ride next year. Maybe I'll have clipless pedals to replace the cages. Pretty sure that's the only way I'll be able to do the five-oh. ;-)

Dtrini said...

Good for you. I used to do the MS ride religiously every year but lost contact with it some time ago. Maybe I will use it as a goal for next year to work towards.

Kristin said...

Unlike MotherDear, I am not going to bite my tongue...

Come back as a mutant? Come on Mossy, how long have I known you? ;-)