Monday, October 16

Rampant Despotism IV

Well, we finally did it. We really did. We finally took the next steps on our path to rule the world.

After much drooling and longing, we picked up Civilization IV this weekend.

Anyone who has read this blog (if there is anyone left reading this blog) knows that I was a big CivIII fan and I was really excited to see that an update would be forthcoming. The game came out a while ago but it has finally taken up residence in the Stone-Shagwell manor - the perfect plaything for two equally aspiring despots.

Granted, Penny and I take different approaches to world conquest. She's all about steamrolling the competition, and I'm more into the economic and cultural stranglehold prior to military action, but the end result is the same. What I really like about this version is that apparently you can run multiplayer scenarios on the same machine where you take turns.

Once I crank some more RAM into the computer (because we're at the bare minimum for the system requirements) we'll have to try it out.

The graphics rock, the soundtracks are amazing and I could happily spend a few days building and ruling a few worlds. *sigh*

Screen shots follow...





11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stupid kids broke the stupid CivIII disk I got for my stupid birthday so I've never gotten to play it...

Looks too confusing.. Give me CivII. We fear 3D...

Penny said...

It's really more Mossy's passion than mine. He plays, I watch and keep myself busy doing other stuff. Oh and I also keep busy saying "Have we declared war on anyone yet?" or "That's a pretty city...let's raze it to the ground and take it over"

Only reason I'm into "steamrolling" (as you put it) is because I have no patience for the finer points of the game. I don't want to negotiate trade agreements and (gasp! horror!) GIVE stuff away to other countries.

It's a game. The point is to WIN and you WIN when the OTHERS LOSE. So *why* would you give them stuff and help them out?

Sheesh...have I gotta teach you everything?? :oP

Anonymous said...

Because it's hard to get concubines when you kill all the people, silly penny.

Dirty Gypsy said...

Penny - I'm with ya, sister. That's EXACTLY how I would play.

STEAMROLLER!!!

Penny said...

Mossy doesn't NEED concubines, Kal.

Not everyone is as hard up as you. :oP

Woohooo! Steph! You and I could rule the world, baby!!

Mossy Stone said...

Ouch. Man. That's gonna leave a mark. (and this is why I married her....and also why I am very, very nice to my wife.)

Steph and Penny as Co-Queens? Co-Empresses? I dunno...I see a while Jane Grey/Mary Stuart and Elizabeth Tudor thing happening.

And it won't be pretty.

Penny said...

Hey! Steph and I could totally co-rule. We'd knock off everyone else and when we ruled the world, we'd go to Spain and sit on the beach.

We'd never turn on each other - and if we did, it sure as hell wouldn't be the "two chicks wrestling in chocolate sauce" that you're thinking.

Dirty Gypsy said...

Spain? Awesome! Penny, I'd be your co-queen anytime!!

(And now I can't stop thinking of the end of Top Gun: "You can be my wingman anytime!" "Bullshit...you can be mine!" *sniff* Awww...)

Penny said...

I would *so* be your wingman!

Larry said...

I have a shirt that says "WINGMAN".

Penny said...

Why doesn't that surprise me?