Monday, May 16

Just like unvarnished wood

...I've got no finish whatsoever.

Every so often I'll come up with a great idea for a short story or something like that and I'll get writing. Then I get bogged down, and the story goes nowhere. Of course, I haven't figured out how to end most of them. As we speak, there are 4 potential short stories sitting in draft here on the ol' blog.

There are some scary parallels to my personality, too. Projects, hobbies, etc.

Does this make me nothing but a starter?

It's frustrating as all fuck. Maybe I should write a book of plot beginnings and publish it?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Being a 'starter' is sometimes the hardest role to play. Don't knock it.

2. Finishing requires different skills and environments than starting. Sometimes brainstorming can help get over the hump, or delegation...

3. Point #2 especially applies to creative writing. I'm a middler, which is worse. I need brainstorming to start, and brainstorming to finish -- but I'm REALLY good at the barfing up the actual text part, but not the ideas or plotlines.

In other words -- whenever you want to brainstorm...

Anonymous said...

Err,that last comment was moi...

Penny said...

I often have a snippet of plot or just a flash of inspiration like Gila. I can write a fabulous middle of a story, it's all the details (i.e. beginning, ending, etc) that drives me nuts.

Maybe if you just keep writing and see where it takes you. Story might end up longer than you originally expected, but at least you'll have fun.

Remember, success is found in the journey, not the destination.

Mossy Stone said...

That's all very Zen, Penny. And, strangely alluring. Wanna fool around?

Penny said...

Not if you're gonna write about it afterwards.

Stephen said...

*especially* if you're gonna write about it afterwards!

Dtrini said...

ROFL. I'm not touching (nor reading) this one.

Penny said...

(singsong voice)dtrini's chicken, dtrini's chicken....