Tuesday, May 24

(Long) Weekend Update

...as opposed to a Weekend Update (long) which would require extensive scrolling and reading.

For those who were unconcious, this past weekend was the "Victoria Day" weekend, historically, the celebration of the birth and reign of Queen Victoria. To those who simply refer to it was the "May Two-Four", it's the first weekend of the summer season. It usually involves some combination of BBQ, beer, fireworks, cottaging, yardwork in various permutations. For many of us, it's a welcome extra day off after an early Easter.

It was a good weekend (due in no small part to my Wife,) after a particularly disappointing work week.

Every so often I'm reminded of why I am a truly fortunate man. I arrived home on Friday (grateful, at that point, for my sanity) and discovered a small gift from my wife sitting out in the back yard. I should note that I didn't see it right away, as I got home, dropped my bag, grabbed a beer from the fridge and fell into a comfy chair, while DW and The Boy were engrossed in a board game. Only when I got up to get something from the kitchen did I notice something leaning against the picnic table. My DW, god love her, bought me a new mountain bike.

In Cricket's parlance, I had been jonesing for a new one for a while. My last velocipede was definitely a cheap model and hefty, but basically functional. However, I wanted something a little more capable and comfy (read: suspension, and high-tech seat) and my DW got one for me because, as she said, she knew I'd had a shitty week and wanted to do something nice for me. Kinda makes all the work bullshit evaporate when you know that someone cares about you that much and actually expresses it.

(Note to my DW: Baby, words can't express what that gesture means to me. You're a gem.)

We also got out with The Boy (the Girl was out with her Grandmother and then out on a sleepover) on Saturday and saw the final installment in The George Lucas Income Trust/Retirement Plan. While the basic storyline was pretty much predictable, it really did a great job as the ultimate prequel. In true Lucas fashion it was visually spectacular, and it did neatly tie up virtually all of the storylines (although it happened a bit fast at the end for my liking.)

Of major happiness to us, we FINALLY got rid of the belongings "temporarily" stored in our garage. (Temporarily was suppposed to be 2 weeks over Christmas, turned into 5 months.) So, we almost have our garage back. I tidied some thing up in there (so there's a big recycling load to go) and we'll relocate the firewood down to the basement, then we can reclaim the garage. Yay!

Yours truly created a minor culinary success with some throw-together stuff to whip up a couple of pizzas to feed one and all. It's amazing what you can do with chicken ;-)

To wrap it all up, I biked myself to the train this morning on my new wheels and made it in once piece. I'm gonna enjoy this summer fitness stuff. Hopefully it will result in there being a little less of me to love, ;-)

1 comment:

Mossy Stone said...

Other than the fact that it wasn't balmy, I have no major complaints.