Friday, April 21

I should be so lively at her age

I admit it, I'm a Monarchist.

But having served in the Army of a Commonwealth nation and being immersed in its traditions and history will do that to you.

Yes indeed, the Queen turns 80 today.

Regardless of what many see as an irrelevant and anachronistic institution, I can't help but feel a certain fondness and admiration for the Royals. This is not to say that the Monarchy shouldn't change with the times, but I can't say I would want to see it gone forever.

And no matter what anyone says, you can't help but admire and respect a woman who maintains a gruelling schedule at an age when, as the Globe and Mail so nicely put it, "it is a struggle for some just to get out of bed."

She will be a hard act to follow, but the legacy will last forever.

"Happy and Glorious, Long to Reign over Us..."

1 comment:

Dtrini said...

Sorry, not much for the monarchy but I am a huge Margaret Thatcher fan.