Wednesday, April 12

Sports Shorts

A couple of sad notes in Mossy's sports universe.

First, the impending retirement of Luc Robitaille from the NHL. "Lucky Luc" is one of the nicest guys to play the game and used a real lunch bucket work ethic to make himself the highest-scoring Left Winger in NHL history. He also earned himself a spot on a couple of all-time lists, notably those of the League (goals, assists, and games played) and of the Los Angeles Kings, where Luc played most of his career.

We'll see you at your Hall of Fame induction in 3 years, Luc...

Second, and closer to home, was the decision of the Canadian Football League to suspend the operations of the Ottawa Renegades for the upcoming season. I'm not sure I have all the words to lament this situation properly, but I can say that Ottawa has had the worst luck with team ownership over the past several years for both the Senators and the Rough Riders/Renegades. Hopefully they'll get their stuff back together and be playing on the banks of the Rideau Canal next summer. If nothing else, perhaps it will teach the League that bringing back a pair of idiot owners just because they had money and promises of better support doesn't always mean success the second time around. CFL fans everywhere bid 'good riddance to bad rubbish' to the Glieberguys.

At least Training Camp starts sooner rather than later.

(btw, I still remain unconvinced that the Maple Leafs will somehow manage to squeak their way into the playoffs. I suppose it doesn't matter either way, because the most they'd get is the 4 games they would lose to either Carolina or Ottawa in the first round...so why suffer needlessly?)

4 comments:

Dirty Gypsy said...

For some reason, when I think of Luc Robitaille, I think "guy who masturbates right before every game". I don't know *why* I do, or how the hell I would even begin to know if that's true, but that's what I think.

Just thought I'd share. :) Heh.

(And I hope this isn't a double-post. I had a bit of difficulty trying to post the first time.)

Larry said...

"I was coachin in omaha in 1948 and Eddie Shore sends me this guy who was a terrible masturbator...
He would get in the penalty box and mm,mmm,mm,."

Dirty Gypsy said...

"...Dave's out. Who's gonna take his place?"

"Is the answer Jesus??"

Heh.

Penny said...

I'm with Motherdear on this one.