Wednesday, April 26

I survived the rehearsal, but...

...it wasn't pretty.

Its true that if you don't use a skill, you run the risk of losing it. (explaining, of course, why Penny and I try to set all-time nookie records...but I digress.)

I had forgotten all of the things you need to keep your mind on while running through a piece of music. Did I mention that this was my first rehearhsal with this band? I did? Okay, good. Anyway, I had my hands full, that's for sure. I was worried about getting the rhythm correct, but I kinda needed to follow the conductor, to say nothing of, well, following the damn score! I was getting a little better by the end of the rehearsal, but I still felt like a complete rookie. (of course, being stuck behind the Tuba section made it somewhat challenging to see the baton....)

Just make things that much more interesting, remember how my Dad dropped an extra piece of music on me? (not two, as originally whined about) Okay, good. I get to the temple all ready with those two and all ready to set up the myriad pieces of percussion required, when I get not one but TWO pieces of music added to the pile. I casually asked the Old Man if he was familiar with the definition of the term "sandbag"?

So I got to add sight reading to the list of skills I had to rapidly put back into operation on top of everything else.

*ergh*

I suppose my errors were magnified only in my own mind, but knowing that doesn't make me diminish them or dismiss them. (yeah, I know...it's a little self absorbed, but what can I say?) At least I have another week before the next practice and the performance is May 7.

I regret that I can't quite figure out the.... (and after having to switch to another page, I come back here totally blank as to where this particular comment was going, oh, wait, it came back to me!) ...the technical nitty-gritty of audioblogging this event for those who were interested. I don't even think this music is available for download anywhere, but that's what you get for this sort of thing.

Anyway...the music itself is really great stuff and I suppose I'll be able to get through it with a minimum of chaos.

Before the conductor kicked things off, I leaned over to my Dad and said, I'm now going to offer the Shepard's Prayer*. "What's that?" he asked. "Dear Lord, please don't let me screw up."

*Alan B. Shepard, first American in space, just before his launch.

2 comments:

Penny said...

Ya know, I *know* I posted a comment on here...and now it's gone. Did you delete it, hunny?

It said that I thought the astronaut's prayer was "Dear God, please don't let me fuck up."

Where'd the post go?

Mossy Stone said...

Nope. I didn't delete anything, honest.

That was his reported prayer, but I figured since I was in a Salvation Army temple at the time, the use of the word "fuck" might be a bit much.