Monday, February 13

Catching Up

(This post originally drafted on Sunday, 12 Feb)

I'm sitting here, comfortable and snow-less, being really glad I'm not in NYC today.

DW and I had a good weekend. She did have to work for part of it, so our time together was somewhat limited. However, we attended a surprise 40th birthday party for the husband of her friend 'Al'. Okay, the fact that he's 40 wasn't a surprise. The party was. He was definitely surprised and seemed almost bashful about the whole thing; he's not the kind of guy to draw attention to himself, I suspect.

We didn't know many people there, but we managed to avoid being completely on the outside. Many of the party-goers were fellow parents from the private school where Al sends her kids. So there's a certain....'social strata' among some of them. Al always does her parties well, and this one was no exception with amazing food and enough booze to put most of Parliament into a major stupor. (I should mention that Al and her hubby are definitely not part of the 'nose in the air' clique...more reason to like them.)

Celebrity highlight of the night was the arrival of a certain member of a local professional hockey team. This particular player hails from south-east Europe and is, regrettably, one of the more popular targets for the armchair critics. He's a bit of an aloof sort, bordering on anti-social. But I suppose that comes with the territory. He is, apparently, also one of these school parents so perhaps that explains the attitude. So there's my brush with celebrity.

We arrived home tired, but happy.

Sunday was dedicated to that most mind-numbing of domestic chores: laundry. DW was working, so I rolled up my sleeves and tackled it. I came into this relationship with higher-than-normal mileage, but nicely equipped with all the domestic options (some more activated than others, I admit) and laundry is one of them. I'm not befuddled by the washer or dryer and I have yet to mix a red sock in with my whites to create a load of "pinks". Hell, I can even iron! So I ran at least 6 loads through and did some tidying up around the Shagwell-Stone Manor. I even managed to do a little shopping and get out to the minor hockey practice.

We did manage to find a little time to relax and enjoy some of the finer things...like playing Splinter Cell on the XBOX upstairs. Penny totally kicks ass at that game...

Methinks that's all for the weekend report. Keep smilin'!

Technorati Tag:

No comments: