Thursday, August 4

Hockey and Bulls and Bears, oh my!

There are times when I let my inner grump get the better of me. That's probably a safe way to characterize the last several days in Mossy's little gravel pit.

Work is, regrettably, the trigger. However, in an effort to avoid getting "dooced", I'll refrain from the rants about some of the perceived matches seeking to light my fuse. Besides, dtrini and my long-suffering DW have heard them all already.

It's funny, though, how an off day can really snowball into having your own personal thundercloud. I admit that I'm moody. In fact, when I was dating, it was usually one of the things I would warn people about. Anyone who has worked with me can also attest to my moodiness. Yeah, I wear my heart on my sleeve...even when it occasionally sports a set of fangs.

I've been a bear and I dunno why my wife puts up with it, frankly.

I mean, in an ideal world, I could just stifle it all or become "Mr. Teflon" and let it all run off me, but that's just not who I am. Is it because I'm a Taurus? All the astrological thinking says its a trait, but it tends to be just who I am, bovine male or not. Sometimes I can deal with it, sometimes I can't. I wish I had more control but....I guess it's just a work in progress.



Now, on to other madness: Hockey.

The closest comparison is watching a car crash. You don't want to, but you just have to. That's what its like to watch the Maple Loafs do their "deer in the headlights" routine while the cream of the Free Agent crop get picked up by other teams. The Leafs made one, count 'em, ONE pickup, and are either leaving people in limbo (Hello, Tie Domi) or signing the mediocre (Hello, Aki Berg, Wade Belak, and Nik Antropov) or saying good bye to the gems (So Long, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts, Ron Francis, and Brian Leetch...and probably Owen Nolan.)

All those free agents who wanted to come to Toronto? Gone-zo. The "brain trust" is so completely hamstrung by the insane contracts of the old system (Mats Sundin, Ed Belfour) that they have something like $10M left to spend and they need 9 players. Dunno about you, but I see a lot of guys shuttling back & forth from the Marlies this season just to keep the Loafs under the cap.

I don't get it. I just don't get it. Poor dtrini is almost inconsolable over this wheel spinning. I ran into Skibum this morning on the subway, on the way to his new gig. He's pissed because he got a Roberts jersey last year but didn't wear it while the lockout was on. Now he doesn't know when he'll be able to wear it at all.

I think I'll be cheering for the Flames this year.

10 comments:

Penny said...

Baby, you are talking to the queen of moodiness.... your NNLCC, remember? I know what it's like and I'd rather be married to someone who wears his heart on his sleeve than Mr. Freeze/Teflon Man.

I love you just the way you are.

Mossy Stone said...

That's good...cuz you're stuck with me.

Having said that, I think we exorcised the demons last night. ;-)

Penny said...

I dunno. I think the demons will need more exercising tonight. ;o)

Larry said...

And, here, I was going to actually address hockey and the cap madness.

Everyone should root for teams like(I said "like" Dani) the Flames. They made the cup finals before the lockout and did it with a payroll that will fit in under the cap. I am just glad my team managment was lookin ahead and managed to get guys under contracts that somewhat fit the situation. It is sad to see teams like Chicago and Toronto waiting it out to see what they can get for a bargain. It is a sad state of affairs when any of the original teams are laughing stocks. Hopefully, your guys will make a few good moves and you can get back to being enthusiastic about watchin your team.

Danikabur said...

THE FLAMES???? Oh man... bad enough you are a Leafs fan but then you go over to the flames??

Seriously don't think I can come visit you anymore. Nope.

Penny said...

Hey, I was BORN in Calgary - he simply must cheer for the Flames. I can put aside the fact that you're from Edmonton if you can put aside the fact that I'm from Calgary. What do you say??

Danikabur said...

I can put aside that you are from Calgary but I can't put aside him cheering for the Flames.

Mossy Stone said...

Maybe if you find a way to distract me, Dani...

Danikabur said...

Oh I can distract you all right... with my foot up your ass!

Flames fan!! *glares*

Dtrini said...

ROFL. Watch out Dani. He may just continue to say he is a Flames fan simply to continue to experience that "punishment" you are promising to dish out. I suspect that your foot is slender enough to make it pleasure.

Anyhow, I digressed for a moment. On the Leafs, it matters not. I am boycotting hockey for a year. Maybe my unholy obessession will subside by then. I think it is ridiculous what they have done to the game. I think we are all going to suffer for some years to come in bad play, screwed up TV revenues and substandard level of quality of the game.

Twice basketball was in the same position as hockey and baseball and twice they were smart enough to get their shit done before it hurt the game and hurt the fans.

They need to feel the pain for a while. They need a less than empty house for a season. They need to know there are LOTS of other things we could be doing. They need to remember that WE pay THEIR salaries.

And for the MLE to insult us with their five percent ticket rollback is just plain ridiculous. The teacher's union and the rest of the shareholders can place that on the end of a suppository insertion tool and place it deep, DEEP up their collective asses!