Thursday, August 18

The limits of human cruelty?

I'm a real aviation buff, and every so often I wander over to airliners.net to cruise through the photo gallery. Planespotting is an interesting hobby, to say the least. (I did something similar in my Army days, but not to this extent)

With the crash in Greece, there's been lots of speculation about what went wrong. I think it will take a long time to sort out the facts from the hyperbole, and it renders the whole event even more tragic. The discussion forums on a.net had a link to some photos that were circulating, allegedly taken by the Greek Air Force. Check this out.

What's really scary is that these photos are good. I mean, really good. Unless you were savvy enough to recognize the subtle differences between the variants of the aircraft, you'd be inclined to take the photos as gospel (albeit macabre.) Fortunately, there are niche experts who were able to not only dismiss the photos as fake, but they culled their database to see some of the photos used to create the fakes.

I have to wonder: what would possess someone to do that? I'm all for practical joking in good clean fun, but this really is the limit. It's not funny, its cruel. Almost as bad as the stupid goat-fucker who said he got a text message from a cousin before the plane went down. He is alleged to have responded "I wanted to get my name in the paper." These photos are in a similar vein as the fakes that circulated after 9/11. (eg. the guy on the observation deck of the tower while a plane approaches in the background, or the devil face in the smoke, etc., etc.)

The sad thing is, even in the face of this evidence,people will believe it if they don't know any better. These photos will circulate and become part of the myth obscuring the truth. Because everything they read on the internet must be true, right?

The more I learn about the depths of depravity in humankind, the more I like my Cat.

9 comments:

Dirty Gypsy said...

I know what you mean. It's along the same lines as the people on your email list that won't stop sending you every little "WARNING: People are putting tiny needles on gas pump handles so that YOU GET AIDS!!!*" piece-of-shit email that hits their Inbox.

*Truthfully, there should be more spelling errors in there, but oh well...

Penny said...

Motherdear, I like to do that too. Sometimes if I'm not sure about photographs, I will forward them to Mossy for his expert opinion. What I hate are the "My child has gone missing. If you see her, please contact me at..." emails. Fuckers play on everyone's concerns with that and again, WHY???

D said...

Amen Mossy Man!
The masses are asses. Hence why in the U.S. certain people are elected when they have no business being in office, and more people vote for the American Idol than the Pres.
More chlorine in the gene pool is needed.

Larry said...

People are very macabre, but, sometimes that is fun too. Reading Lovecraft is one of my favorite pasttimes. Anyhow, some people definitely have too much time on their hands and think they are being funny.

Dtrini said...

Humans are the failed experiment of the Sumpreme Being that made us all. The damn things multiplied much quicker than they expected when they looked away so they had to make up some excuses to the other Supreme Beings (a copy or three of the drafts were found on Earth and became the root of the sacred texts of various religions).

I've always said that people are stupid. And yes, I include mnyself in that category as I have performed some bone-headed moves in my time. Just when you think we could not sink any lower, we collectively find a new level to drop to. It's sad in so many ways.

That said, there is simply not enough depravity in this universe or the next that would make me love a cat.

Dtrini said...

Great, now the spam no longer comes from anonymous posters?!?!?

These people need to be wiped from the Earth!

(^%*&^)*^)^^%(%(&^)(&**&(_*_!!!!!!!

Mossy Stone said...

No arguments there. Spammers should be hung by their testicles with piano wire and left to ROT.

Callie said...

Ugh! I hate stuff like this. I got so sick of it after 9/11. I mean, honestly. Don't they realize that people lose loved ones in these kinds of tragedies? It's like they don't have a heart.

Thanks for the heads-up Mossy.

And MD - I loves snopes.com. Just LOVE it.

Kristin said...

I love airliners.net, its a fantastic website (not just cause there are pics of the airline I work for either)...

I honestly have issues with emails that people send such as "You've been hugged, send this to 9 people or you will have 13 yrs bad luck" and other such bullshit.
If you even remotely like me, don't send me that bullshit, I do just delete it.

But Egyptians shave their eyebrows to mourn their cats, and I read that on the internet so it must be true. ;-)