Thursday, August 11

Used to happen in Utah ALL the time...

I got a slightly perverse kick out of this article. Law & Order had a great episode showing a man who had two separate families. Comments in italics are mine.

Man's three wives meet for first time at his sickbed

LONDON (AP) - Some people bring flowers, others bring balloons. But when Melvyn Reed's three wives showed up to visit him in hospital they brought an unexpected end to his years as a bigamist.

British police confirmed Thursday that after Melvyn Reed woke from his triple bypass heart operation earlier this year, his complicated marital affairs took a turn for a worse. All three of his spouses had turned up at the same time, despite his efforts to stagger their visits. (No wonder the poor bugger needed a bypass)

Upon realizing that something was amiss, the wives held a meeting in the parking lot and learned they were all married to the same man, the British news media reported. (This is typical British understatement....I can just imagine the substance of that meeting.)

The 59-year-old company director from Kettering, in central England, turned himself in on May 12. (probably for his own safety. Proverbs speak of the fury of a woman scorned. Imagine that scorn with an exponential factor of 3)

A spokeswoman for the Crown Prosecution Service said Reed pleaded guilty July 19 to two charges of bigamy at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court in south London, and was given a four-month suspended sentence and ordered to pay 70 pounds (about $150 Cdn) in costs, police said.

Reed, his three wives and Reed's lawyer, Laurence Grant, could not immediately be reached for comment. (He's probably in hiding because he was hoping for the relative safetly of Her Majesty's Prisons. They, on the other hand, are probably in hiding because they'd like to avoid being protrayed as stupid.)

The London Metropolitan Police said Reed married his first wife, Jean Grafton, in 1966, then left her without divorcing her. He went on to marry Denise Harrington in 1998, then married Lyndsey Hutchinson in 2003. (Of course, this is deceit of the highest order. I may have had my asshole moments in my time, but this guy takes the cake.

The British media have widely reported that Reed recently moved back in with his first wife. They say she is the mother of his three grown children. (Um, before or after the bypass?)

London's police said Harrington and Hutchinson had sought advice on getting their marriages annulled. But news reports say lawyers have advised the women that their marriages were never valid. (Their only recourse will be through the courts by means of a lawsuit. This just won't end well.)

10 comments:

Larry said...

That guy is a glutton for punishment. Even when I was married I didn't want a second one or third one for that matter. Shit one was more than enough to handle most of the time.

Kal said...

I always thought if Wifeypooh and I got divorced there'd be no frickin' way I'd get in another long term relationship.

I mean, Steve McQueen didn't go back into the Nazi prison in The Great Escape, did he?

Dirty Gypsy said...

It's stories like this that come out and almost convince me that I never want to get married. Just think how humiliated those women are. Ya gotta wonder what the hell that guy was thinking. I mean, I can see having mistresses, but why three WIVES???

D said...

I was going to put this on my blog tomorrow. :(

Penny said...

Ya notice you never hear of a woman doing this?

Larry, I swore that one the Ex and I were divorced, I was never going to live with/marry another man again. I meant it too. Then I fell in love with Mossy, and it changed. :o)

Mossy Stone said...

As I recall, Steve McQueen did indeed wind up back in the prison camp.

Callie said...

Yup - he winded up back in solitary with his trusty balls . . . uh uh . . . ball. :-D

You're right, Penny, you never hear of a woman doing this. Maybe we're smart enough to realize that one man is more than enough. Why cause more misery in one lifetime, hmmmm???

Very funny story, Mossy!

Penny said...

Mossy always said (when referring to one of his exes) that you have to kiss a lot of goats before you find your Princess. I will always love that line. :o)

Mossy Stone said...

...and this is why I could never date another Capricorn

Larry said...

Oh, I'm not swearing off marriage. But, I think one at a time is more than enough.