Friday, July 8

Sleepless in Suburbia, or Why Rob Thomas is Haunting my Dreams

"She says baby...It’s 3am I must be lonely"

- Matchbox 20, '3AM'

It's a disturbing trend.

For several nights over the last couple of weeks, I've been waking up right at 3:00AM. Not around 3, right at the stroke of 3. This is not a good thing, considering that I usually hear the alarm around 5:45AM. Sometimes it's the cat making noise, sometimes I open my eyes and I can get right back to sleep, and other times it's a struggle. This kind of sleep pattern is usually a sign that I'm stressed.

It's scary enough having my sleep interrupted, but it's scarier when the mind starts to wander and its so tired that all sorts of bizzarre imagery forms the waking dream. Work meets life meets Salvador Dali. Strange Dad-esque and cubist pictures and voices and things. At that point the brain is on Auto-weird.

So for the bulk of this week I have not been terribly well-rested and it's definitely taking a toll. I'm feeling a little frazzled with some of the planning work I've had to do, and I just want a few hours' rest.

Ya hear that, subconscious of mine? Is that too much to ask? Is it? huh?

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I don't take sleep for granted anymore. Everything I do gets harder when I'm sleep deprived. I hope you can get some good rest soon.