Monday, July 18

Weekend Update

Funny how it can rain and still leave you with a really good weekend.

DW and I enjoyed a little escape to one of our favourite haunts out in Mennonite country. I hasten to point out that the trip was all organized by my awesome DW as a little treat for yours truly. She's far too good to me. We passed the bulk of the trip there by reading the latest Harry Potter tome. I narrated the tale while DW drove

We've been a few times to go enjoy the farmers' market, the flea markets and the various antique places. It's not too far from the city and finding little B&B places are a real bonus. The last one we stayed in was a massive log home on 5 wooded acres. Until you've been served a 5 course breakfast to start the day, you've not really lived.

This time we stayed at an 1850's inn that used to be a major stagecoach stop (no, don't think Old West...we had them up here, too) in that part of the country. (Its nice to find these little gem places in the most unexpected locations. ) DW definitely picked a winner with the room, not just because it was a mini suite with its own fireplace, not just because it came with a VCR in the room and a modest selection of movies, not just because it had nice comfy robes for us to lounge in, but because it had the most decadent of all indulgences, a big, high-backed claw-foot bathtub just off the foot of the bed. It was actually a fiberglass (note: I used to have something similar in the bathroom of my old apartment and I miss it.) DW and I liked it enough that we are seriously considering putting one into the alcove in the walkway off our bedroom. This bears further investigation and planning. *grin*

Don't believe me? Then check this out...

DW has blogged about the snoring fiasco (which I feel bad about, even though I've been told I'm not to blame,) but I do appreciate her indulging my interest in antique hunting and in particular, my interest in antique woodworking tools. Despite overwhelming temptation, I behaved and only bought two things: a ratchet brace in remarkably good condition, and a medium-sized hand drill (looks something like a hand-crank mixer.) Of course, this means I'll eventually have to build a case for them. Yeah, yeah....another building project on the list.

Anyway, it was an excellent weekend. DW and I got some nice edging for the yard, and we picked up some amazing produce and had a very, very nice weekend away in god's country.

2 comments:

Larry said...

that was an awesome room.

Anonymous said...

you guys were about 10 minutes from my house.