Monday, July 11

Sunday hockey update

We lost, but we made them work for it.

For the first time this summer season, I am actually feeling a teeny-tiny measure of confidence in my play. Granted, I'm in no danger of being a free-agent pickup for an NHL team when the lockout ends, but for me it's a big step up.

A goalie's confidence can take a real beating and mine is certainly no exception. I mean, when your teams are pretty much winless for a season, it tends to wear on you after a while.

But this week, riding a small wave of confidence from our unexpected win on Tuesday, I felt better going into Sunday's game.

I was definitely low on energy from the weekend's festivities and labours, but I was determined to get out and play, even just for the switch in mental activity.

The game was actually one of the better team efforts we put forth, and it was against a very dogged and fast-skating opponent. I was seeing the puck pretty well, and we even managed to be scoreless at the end of the first period. The goals they got (except for the last one) were all from rebounds and scrambles, so at least I know I was making a few solid first saves. I even managed saves on two breakaways. The last goal definitely left me wearing the ol' goat horns. I mis-read the shooter coming in. I was sure he was setting up for a pass to another player and I cheated a little bit the wrong way. He got me flat-footed. D'oh...

Final score was 6-2. Still, I don't feel I played badly.

Ya take the small victories where you can, I guess.

6 comments:

Larry said...

Oh man, I felt so sorry for the Polish Monkey. He was our goalie on saturday and we took several beatings. He takes losing really hard(one of those ultracompetitive, takes losses on his shoulders, goalie types. Before our last game I skated up to him and said, "Maybe we won't play this one like warmups and actually give you some defence." Got him to laugh and settle down. It was the best team in the tourney and we managed to play with them until the last few minutes. It was nice.

Glad to hear you team is coming together as a team. Soon you guys will be winning a few.

Callie said...

Ditto Cricket - only my good friends actually know something about hockey. I just know that the players usually get mutilated during the games. I only watch it for the fights. :-D

Glad to hear you guys are doing better and getting a little more confidence.

D said...

Isn't the goalie the most protected player on the team? I know that and that there are 3 periods and something about sticking....so I'm not doing much better than callie on this....maybe you and larry should get together and teach some of us the rules of hockey.

Larry said...

I have found that teaching people...nay...women about hockey has been a lost cause in the past. I am willing to give it another shot, though.

Kal said...

hey, at least they'll let you wear your cup again.

Mossy Stone said...

ltlme: the goalie has the most equipment (no entendre directly intended), but "protection" is a relative term. I didn't really understand all the nuances of hockey until I learned to play nearly 6 yrs ago.

kal: the admonishment about the cup was the last thing DW said to me as I left the house yesterday. ;-)