Wednesday, January 4

All M*A*S*H-ed out, or How I Spent My Christmas Vacation

When it comes right down to it, there's something to be said for owning the DVDs of a favourite TV series.

Now I know that some of you don't bother watching re-runs. Some of you do watch re-runs but you won't watch a movie twice or read a book twice. Me, I don't get that. I watch re-runs. I'll watch movies over and over and I'll re-read books ad infinitum (much to DW's everlasting confusion...okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but she admits that she doesn't "get" my book thing.)

Of the many things DW and I have in common is an appreciation for the brilliance of M*A*S*H, so we were really excited when the series started coming out on DVD a few years back. We started collecting and re-enjoying the series. We had both forgotten how many little tidbits had been removed from the show in the name of increased advertising. In fact, some of the best bits of the storylines were lost to syndication, but fortunately they remained on the DVDs.

With DW working though the bulk of the holiday week, I decided to give myself a little marathon. I'd pop in a season of the show and sit and enjoy while indulging my scale model habit and drink in all the humour and subtle commentary without the vulgar interruption of commercials. I tell ya, it was a great time to be had. I could watch in near-perfect solitude and bide my time until my DW came home.

M*A*S*H.....great for what ails ya over a quiet holiday week.

7 comments:

Mossy Stone said...

I'll have to take some pictures, but I did a 1/25 scale 1971 Hemi Barracuda. Its finished in a purple metal flake with a black HEMI decal treatment on the read quarter panels. I have a couple of finishing touches to put on it and I'll take a few snaps.

I also dug out a tractor-trailer kit that I had left unfinished. Its all black with gold trim instead of the usual silver chrome.

Mossy Stone said...

That should read "rear" quarter panels.

Silly clumsy typing fingers.

Dirty Gypsy said...

Mossy - I just did the same thing with Arrested Development, Season 2. I got it for Christmas, and I've already watched all 18 episodes.

The only other TV show I have on DVD is 21 Jumpstreet, Season 1. I know, I know - y'all be jealous of me!! :) I can't wait to add Seasons 2 & 3 to my collection...

Callie said...

We watch re-runs of M*A*S*H all the time. Love that show. Sadly, I'm too cheap to buy a series on DVD. However, I am seriously considering doing that with Monk. I can't tell you how much I love that show.

Oh - and I re-read stuff all the time! It's amazing how much foreshadowing stuff you find in re-reads, especially in "series" type books (like Harry Potter or Piers Anthony's books). Coolness. Glad you had a good time on your holiday.

Mossy Stone said...

Steph: 21 Jump Street? Good heavens!

Callie: I do that re-reading especially with my W.E.B. Griffin and my Clive Cussler. As for Series, I'd love to eventually have ALL the Star Trek series on DVD but they're ruinously expensive. I wouldn't mind getting something like "Emergency!" or WKRP, though...

Penny said...

I *do* read some books over and over again. In fact, I re-read my copy of Mists of Avalon so much, the book fell apart (and I LOVE Piers Anthony books, Callie. Ever tried his Xanth series? Hilarious!). I also watch some shows/movies over and over again.

But Mossy's got this, like, *thing*. I've never seen anyone re-read stuff as much as he does. I also don't get how he can read four books at once (one for the train, one for bed and at least one in each bathroom). But that's just one of my quirks.

Dtrini said...

I am an admitted DVD addict but I have slowed down to mainly boxed sets now. A big reason is what you mentioned; the removal of parts to accomodate more commercials. I notice it in movies on TV as well and have declared various movies unwatcheable when on TV due to that removal or censorship (language, violence etc.) that changes the feel of the movie.

Currently, I am awaiting the last three boxes for SG1 from Columbia (they were on sale for much less than from FS, BB or Starstruck). I am missing some Voyager, all of ST:TNG and ST:OG, the last season of SITC, the last couple of Buffy and all of Angel.

When you make it over here (ahem, *HINT*), I'll show you the rest. Still have to get my damn barcode reader working so I can fix my catalog.