Wednesday, January 25

Now that my ears have stopped ringing...

Bon Jovi definitely puts on a good show.

They performed for 2 and a half hours and kept the crowd (mostly female and swooning and screaming) at a fever pitch. We had absolutely amazing seats and we got to soak up the view from the totally kick-ass Video board above the stage.

I wasn't able to get the Blackberry out and blog during the show as I did with the opening act because I was thoroughly enjoying myself. And with all the screaming I would have been hard-pressed to form coherent sentences.

Penny and I noted that they really found a formula for good music and stuck with it while managing to balance a maturing approach to their work. Of all the "hair" bands that emerged around the same time, I'd say Bon Jovi was a smarter bunch because they wrote solid Rock Anthems but with a more intelligent feel.

Funny moments of the night included:

  • seeing the groping Jon endured while walking around during different parts of the show
  • seeing a lot of the home-made signs like "Shut up and Kiss Us" (displayed from the floor seats) "Hey Jon, Lay Your Hands on Me" from the opposide side of the ACC, "Born to Be YOUR Baby" (displayed from several sections over)
  • Watching Penny bounce and scream and thoroughly enjoy herself (oh, and she did that at the concert, too)
  • Seeing Tico Torres (drums) sneaking a smoke while playing

As for the band, Jon is....Jon. With less hair. Tico is still a ball of energy and raw power and one of the better drummers in the business. Dave Bryan (keyboards) looks unsettlingly like Peregrine Took after too much Ent water. Richie Sambora has not aged well. He looks like Tommy Lee but with fewer tattoos/piercings and more clothes. He can, however, still sing and his guitar work hasn't missed a lick.

I'd love to see them in a smaller venue just for fun, but I don't think I would have traded the arena experience for anything. Well, except maybe the chance to boot Tico off the kit for a set or two...

Penny remarks that she would have traded the arena experience for something too, but I cut her off before she could offer further details.

Some things a husband just doesn't need to know. *grin*

6 comments:

Kal said...

cool!

Kal said...

Hey,

Have you seen Triumph, the comic insult dog's Bon Jovi interview? It's here. jon and the band are terrific sports about the whole thing. He seems like a pretty decent guy.

Mossy Stone said...

He was even wearing one of the AFL jerseys for the encore set.

Dirty Gypsy said...

Leaving aside my intense dislike of Jon Bon Jovi, I'm glad that you guys had a great time. :)

And this: "Dave Bryan (keyboards) looks unsettlingly like Peregrine Took after too much Ent water." Holy crap. I'm dying laughing here. SUCH a great description. Dead-on!!

Mossy Stone said...

You're gonna have to justify your dislike for Penny. ;-)

The Dave Bryan description was a joint effort. I just thought he looked like a Hobbit. But taller.

Penny said...

She doesn't have to justify anything to me. If she doesn't like him, she doesn't like him.

Less competition for me. :oP