Tuesday, November 1

Grey shades and grey days

Its perfectly ghastly outside this morning. Nary a patch of blue to be seen. Kind of a featureless morning which renders everything in sight just a little less crisp and 2-dimensional.

I used to hate days like this in the army. We'd be cold, damp, and miserable. Nobody wanted to do anything. Motivation on Sunny days was never an issue. Anyone who has spent time in the big green machine can attest to that. Of course in my gig, the prospect of spending the day in an open jeep, crammed with supplies, equipment, weapons and 2 other bodies with the prospect of imminent downpour was just soul-draining.

"Aw geeze Sergeant-Major...why am I getting up?"

"Get your ass and your soldiers moving, Sergeant Stone....its your responsibility. "

Oh yeah.

Meanwhile, back at home...

"Aw, honey, can't we just stay in bed and snuggle?"

DW: "No, poohkie. You have to go to work. "

Work. Oh yeah.

There are far worse fates, of course. I mean, I could have no job, making the out-of-bed-getting somewhat problematic. Or, perhaps, I could be off to my job in the fullery. (Go look up "fuller" on a Wiki somewhere.) Having woken up in both of those situations, literally for the former and figuratively for the latter, I suppose I shouldn't complain. I'm doing what I love (even though I don't always love everything I do - which happens in every job.) Life just adds its own variables to every day.

Speaking of ghastly variables, hockey was a somewhat gruesome affair last night. Hallowe'en night is always tough because you never know how many players you'll have. Apparently our opposition wasn't burdened by this concern as they iced a full team to our 9 skaters. After my brief hiatus, I can't say I played particularly well, but as a team I wouldn't say any of us were candidates for Central Scouting. We probably played the best team in our league and even if we'd had all 14 of us, we would have had our hands full. Ah well, I know I played a good second period, and the guys said we were lucky it was only 5-3.

Ages ago, in a previous guise, I lamented the cancellation of a Masters' program I was really keen on. While DW and I were in Vancouver, I checked with the U again to see if the program was on. I actually think that it is. Gawd, I hope it really is. I really, really, really want into this program. Part of my challenge for a post-grad is that pesky undergrad that I'm missing. So finding just the right program is important. I don't want to do just any old Executive MBA, because it seems like everyone and his dog has one. (My apologies to all dogs who don't yet have their MBA). No, I need the right program. One completely applicable to my current work and one that will give me the education credentials to support career advances (not to be confused with sexual advances, which are something else entirely). For someone who was smart enough to be a good student but too unmotivated to make it happen, I'm actually pumped about school again. I really am. I know it will reall!
y be a tough 2 years if I get in, but...how could it not be worth it? The program itself is virtually (no pun intended) all distance education. The brain trust figures I'll need to dedicate 10-20 hrs per week to the effort while courses are on. There is a 3-week residency requirement where I'll have to go to the campus and I'll be working 6 days per week while I'm there. However, the prospect still excites me. I mean, I think of the doors that could open for my career. I think about how I can put some of this new knowledge to use at work. Wow. If I could dance in my seat here on the train, I would. Pretty sure I'd get some weird-ass looks, though. I could babble on about the whole school thing, but I'm sure that both of my loyal readers are already bored witless.

So, I wait for their response to my email. Think positive thoughts for ol' Stoney on that one.

On to more positive thinking.

It is positively grey outside. But I think I caught a glimmer of sun.

This bodes well.

4 comments:

D said...

awww. I'll try and send some blue skies your way.

Joe said...

Greetings! I'm quite pleased to inform you that you have been nominated for an award from The Order of Brilliant Bloggers for the month of October.

The Order of Brilliant Bloggers is a grass roots group dedicated to recognizing the excellence among us.

Feel free to encourage your readers to stop by and vote for you. Voting for October will run until November 5th, 11:59pm EST.

Congratulations and we hope to see you participating in our group.

(Hey, gimme a break... I'm just cutting and pasting.)

Joe said...

Hey, you got two nominations. Aren't you just bad ass? :)

Mossy Stone said...

I did? WOW!

I'm all humble-ized and stuff...