Monday, November 14

Putting up walls...but in a good way.

(** to eventually be accompanied by photos**)

My DW and I put up a wall between us this weekend.

Um...

Between us, my DW and I put up a wall.

Hmmm....nope.

How about...

My DW and I finished drywalling a partition wall this weekend. Good? Yah? Really??

Yeah, I know it's taken a while to get it closer to completion, but we're busy people. This weekend was a classic example. With Remembrance Day being a government holiday, I was off. After the parade that morning I raced back to meet the gas fitters who were coming in to set up the line for a new stove. Well, not really "new", but "new to us". The stove came courtesy of my brother-in-law who wanted to swap out his gas stove at his 'to-be-sold' house with the electric one we had. Of course, since stoves don't fit in Intrepids or Saturns, we needed to rent a truck to handle the dirty work.

So...truck was rented, picked up late that afternoon, our stove loaded, stoves swapped....

And then it was Saturday. The truck had to be back that afternoon and DW and I were kidless, so we were pretty much free to make use of the truck to get to our favourite place: Home Depot.

6 sheets of drywall and the accompanying sheet metal trim later...

We actually made some good progress and managed some workarounds to deal with a few little 'construction landmines' that cropped up (as they inevitably do.) DW demonstrated more of her home reno prowess with one particularly bright suggestion about dealing with one metal-stud-not-meeting drywall-correctly 'gotcha'. I need to be reminded occasionally that the simple solutions are often better than my complex ones.

Proof of the successful wall installation was discovered when DW passed through the open doorway and hit the as-yet-unwired light switch as she headed for the storage area. We both enjoyed a good chuckle over that one.

The partition is no longer naked, and we even added another drywall sheet to the partially finished outer wall of the basement. We have something like a plan for the gordian knot of ductwork and a realistic approach for my tonne of books and their eventual shelves.

Tonight I'll see if I can get the partition wall built for the stairs and get that drywalled in while DW is out.

I'm loving it....so far. Just don't make me wire anything. ;-)

3 comments:

Penny said...

You forgot my mad dashes up and down the basement stairs carrying all the shi...er...stuff that we were "storing" in the basement until we could throw it out. I must have made 12 trips up and down those damn stairs carrying old computer monitors, empty paint cans (about 15 of them), old VCRs, stereo equipment and other miscellaneous items that don't work anymore.

Mossy was at The Boy's hockey game (sans the Boy - long story) and when he came back, I had the van all loaded and ready to go to the dump, where we rushed to drop all of this stuff off and still get the van back to the rental company before it turned into a very expensive pumpkin.

THEN we came home and started building the walls.

Mossy Stone said...

Um, yah....and all that stuff she said.

Penny said...

AND that we had a shag-fest all weekend long, too?