Tuesday, November 22

Once a drummer...

Back in my high school days, I played drums. I'm sure my father would have preferred for me to stick with the saxophone, but he supported my interest and enthusiasm.

I was largely unschooled and relying on a reasonably good sense of rhythm and listening to other people play. One of my major influences was Neil Peart. Of course, most drummers get into equipment specifics and we know all sorts of kit minutiae...and I recall slavishly drawing out the layout of his massive kit over and over and over (hey, its a Drummer thing....)

Anyway, I've always been a Rush fan and a great admirer of Neil's, not just as a performer, but also as a literate and articulate person. One of my more treasured possessions is a handwritten postcard from him (20 yrs ago, now) offering thanks for a piece of fan mail I sent to Modern Drummer magazine. (Note to self: Get that framed!)

So one of my colleages happened to wander over to my veal-fattening pen cubicle just around lunchtime and mentioned, "I dunno what kind of music you like, or if you're a Rush fan or not.."

Me: "I'm a huge Rush fan"

JF: "They have one of Neil Peart's drum kits on display down at Sam the Record Man. I think it's there until 3."

Me: ...

Holy crap...

So....off I went down to Sam's...walked in....found it.....drooled and dreamed. There's something to be said about the latent power of a set of drums.

The Professor













And just for those of you who want to appreicate a virtual "Neil" experience, check out this jaw-dropping animated sequence.

Tell me....why did I sell my kit 10 yrs ago? (oh yeah...I needed the money...and you can't serenade someone with drums)

2 comments:

Penny said...

Hey, I was once serenaded by a naked guitarist... why not by drums?

Besides which, you've never serenaded me anyway...and I've always wanted you to. You know what song I want to hear you sing...

lowk said...

Gotta admit you're the first person I know that was into drums. I never had the talent for them. I took some piano lessons and taught myself to play the guitar. Hey I even played the trumpet in grade school. But the drums are way over my head. You should get back into it.