Wednesday, May 3

Local Politics idiocy

(Disclaimer: This post isn't a political one, per se...just an observation of recent happenings)

Sometimes it amazes me that we blindly and willingly elect such "interesting" people to local office.

I make exceptions for people such as Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion, who actually has a clue.

I shook my head at this little tidbit, and then thanked Biff that I moved eastward. I'd like to see by-law inspectors try to enforce that law if it comes to pass.

Now, I've often been told I should run for some kind of office. I mean there's lots of nice little perks, like going to Leafs games, or having expense accounts. But me? Elected?? Nope. No way. Not a freakin' chance. First, I have enough juicy skeletons that I'm sure someone would have a lot of fun with them. Second, I lack the patience necessary to deal with the follies of local politics. I don't think my elected colleages would appreciate being labeled "asshat" on a regular basis. Finally, I just couldn't spend so much time with either my head up my ass or with my lips firmly planted on someone else's ass just to get some trivial approval completed.

Two pieces in the local rag expose some of our elected officials for their sheer boobery. I mentioned Leafs games. Right. Some time back a couple were in attendance at a game and some large, loud, inebriated soul behind them was waxing "poetic" (read: expletive) about Politics and the Green Party and all that sort of dreck. Husband turns to soul above and asks him to dial it down a notch. The request wasn't met with much welcome, if the response was any indication. Security was called and the lump was removed from the facility. The inevitable question came up..."who was that guy?" One of his seat-mates produced a business card with the name of a City Councillor and said "I think this is him."

Oh dear.

So the couple heads home and drafts a letter to the city clerk. Of course, this letter gets leaked to the media and the Councillor in question vehemently denies such an incident, claiming:

"This is unbelievable. I wasn't even at the game, so someone's trying to do a real hatchet job on me, let me tell you," said Ford, adding he has not been at the Air Canada Centre since Christmas. "I can't believe it. I can't believe what they're writing."

and on the subject of his business card being passed out:

Ford said he couldn't explain how his business card was being passed out.
"I have no idea. Someone's trying, obviously out there to get me. I'd like to know who these people are. I have no idea." When asked if the allegations were bogus, Ford said: "Absolutely. It's slanderous if you ask me."


Oh dear.

Well, today comes and a very sheepish and chagrined Rob Ford admitted his part in the whole sorry episode. This is a guy who is talking about a run at the Mayor's chair next fall.

Let's just watch that little dream go up in smoke, shall we?? Of course, this is in the same burg where Tom Jakobek thought he could run for mayor despite his exceedingly creative bookkeeping when it came to our good friend Dash Domi. So who knows?

I also mentioned expense accounts? Right.

We move a little further east where the councillors are under somewhat less scrutiny and think they can do a little retroactive justification on their expenses.

There are some expenses associated with public office and common practice has the councillors claiming such expenses and being reimbursed (its often easier to pay for things yourself and claim it afterwards) [Sidebar note: Toronto's media has a watch list for who spends the most and the least amount of their annual office budget...it's interesting reading.] Anyhoo, this particular councillor decided that it was okay to run up some bogus claims and pocket the coin.

Apparently this is why God invented forensic accountants.

So there you have it. Evidence in abundance for the concept of term limits for local officials. Get in, make your mark, and get out.

3 comments:

Kal said...

I didn't think it was God that invented forensic accountants, my guess was the other guy...

Callie said...

LMAO Mossy - that stuff is really funny. Especially the councilman at the game. *snicker/giggle*

Still think you should run for office - if only to show the asshats in the political arena that people don't think much of the shit that goes on there.

Mossy Stone said...

You just can't make this shit up. Who needs reality TV when you lave local politics?