Friday, March 11

100 Things About Me

(updated, 24 June 2005)

...cuz its all about me, really.

I'll keep this one relatively clean, but I should be able to get 100 interesting (or not) things listed.

  1. Sometimes I'll sit back and ponder the nature of existence. You know, the whole "me" thing? Does the world look the same through someone else's eyes?
  2. I'm secretly afraid of death. I hope there's something after it, but it's disappointing to think that there might just be nothing.
  3. Every so often I really can't believe where I am and what I've accomplished, then I have some regret about the things I have not yet accomplished
  4. I never played football in high school
  5. I never played organized sports until I was in my late-20's
  6. I was 4'10" and 95 pounds when I got into Gr. 9
  7. I am a foot taller and about 100 lbs heavier now
  8. I come from a long line of myopic, vertically challenged, athletically challenged people.
  9. My parents divorced in 1985
  10. They should never have gotten married
  11. My mother and I haven't spoken in years
  12. My sister and my father haven't spoken in years
  13. I hate the person I was when I was younger
  14. I do thank my parents for 2 things: a love of books and a love of music
  15. I served in the Army Reserve for 14yrs and 83 days (retiring as a Sergeant)
  16. I was not a natural soldier, but I worked hard and earned my promotions
  17. I loved (for the most part) my time in the Army
  18. I didn't grow up doing any organized sports
  19. I learned to play hockey in my early 30's
  20. I am not a natural as a goalie, but I do it anyway
  21. I'm incredibly jealous of people with natural athletic abilities
  22. I'm a dreadful procrastinator
  23. I love cooking (but hate cleaning)
  24. I can make my own bread, from scratch
  25. Being a step-parent scares the hell out of me sometimes
  26. It also frustrates the hell out of me sometimes
  27. I'm always anxious about my weight & body image
  28. I am incredibly sarcastic
  29. I didn't finish university (but I did finish Community College)
  30. I'm not doing for a career what I went to school for
  31. I've been the "exception to the rule" in many work situations where I've either been hired or promoted based on my experience over any paper qualifications
  32. I've been fired 3 times in my career; only once for cause, but was re-hired concurrently in a different role with the same employer. (Louis Camus, I owe you big for that)
  33. Even though it has been almost 3 years, I still curse the spineless turd of a VP who included me in a round of staff cuts. (BC, I let you get away with a constructive dismissal but your time will come.)
  34. As you have probably surmised, once crossed, I tend to hold a grudge. I *can* forgive transgressions, but I never, ever forget.
  35. As much as I am aware of my skills and strengths, I am alarmed at the gaps in my experience and knowledge.
  36. I love CFL Football.
  37. My cousin's husband played 16 seasons in the CFL. He was my first hero after Bobby Orr.
  38. I have no interest in NFL Football
  39. I can't stand basketball and I lost interest in baseball
  40. I'm very anxious that NHL hockey is in serious trouble
  41. I think ticket scalpers should be shot on sight
  42. I think stadiums charge WAY too much for food at their concessions
  43. People in Toronto who slag the CFL just because they think that since it's Canadian that it has to suck can all go fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned. Get out to a game, assholes. You might be surprised. (how's that for a run-on sentence?)
  44. I have been "the other man" more than once
  45. Models and other "perfect" women do nothing for me
  46. If I'm going to have sex I'd prefer to use my mind as well as my bod
  47. I shave in the shower
  48. There are pictures of me in 2 published books (both military)
  49. I have been in the newspaper
  50. I have been on TV
  51. I have never taken a life (that I know of)
  52. I have not directly saved a life but I have, on several occasions, provided first aid on the scene of an accident of one kind or another
  53. I really, really, really, really want to learn to fly
  54. I have never bungee jumped
  55. I have never gone skydiving
  56. I will not tell you how many people I have slept with. (not yet)
  57. I own 3 guitars (12-string acoustic, 6-string acoustic, 6-sting electric)
  58. I have my late grandfather's saxophone
  59. I have formal musical training in saxophone, piano and music theory
  60. I taught myself to play drums at age 14
  61. I regret selling my drums at age 28
  62. I have worn a kilt.
  63. I played in a symphony orchestra for 3 years
  64. I played in a military pipe and drum band for 2 years
  65. I have been a collateral victim of a sexual assault conviction (not, I repeat, NOT a direct victim)
  66. I do not suffer fools gladly and I tend to be pretty blunt when having to deal with them
  67. I'm not the most patient guy on the planet
  68. I snore
  69. I have, and I like it, but it can indeed be distracting
  70. I have met and dated people through online dating sites
  71. I have met and dated people through chat sites and instant messaging
  72. I used to sail
  73. I had a pen pal for many, many years
  74. We talked seriously about getting married
  75. I spent a Christmas and New Years' in Scotland (see above)
  76. It didn't work out. (obviously)
  77. I have worked in jobs I hated
  78. I have stayed in relationships longer than I should have
  79. I have had one night stands
  80. I have never used a narcotic other than nicotine
  81. I am a bar smoker
  82. I like cigars
  83. I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and hated it.
  84. I think Robert Fulghum is a brilliant anecdotal author.
  85. I am writing two novels just for fun. One techno-thriller and one sci-fi.
  86. People tell me I have a perfect voice for radio.
  87. I respond by telling them that I have a perfect face for radio too
  88. I prefer working for small companies, not big companies
  89. I taught myself HTML years ago on a Mac using TeachText
  90. I use P2P software to find digital copies of songs I own on vinyl or tape. Most times. ;-)
  91. I can't believe I'm married
  92. I can't believe I have a blog
  93. I love my country
  94. Whenever I go to Ottawa to see the Parliament buildings I get a swell of patriotism
  95. I have been to 9 of our 10 provinces
  96. I have been to CFL games in 6 of 9 team stadiums and two neutral site games
  97. When asked, in an interview, about a challenge I overcame or about a great success, I mention that I'm proudest of surviving a layoff and keeping sane, focused and solvent at the same time
  98. 3 people from my work know about my blog
  99. I have known Kristin for years, but we have never met
  100. Last, but not least, I have played a hockey game at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Wow....100 things. Who knew I had it in me?

Do you have a "Things about me" list? Lemme see!~

6 comments:

Theresa said...

I stopped reading at #56. The only reason I read these lists is to find out how many different people you all have shagged. You're such a tease!

I'm a big fat liar. I actually read it all. It's a damn good list. (not lying)

My list is here:
http://2hotchiks.blogspot.com/2005/01/one-hundred.html#comments

Mossy Stone said...

Theresa:

There is a "shag" list, but I don't think its quite ready for publication. ;-)

Thanks for yours!

MS

Mossy Stone said...

Theresa: Awesome list!

Dtrini said...

My shag list is pathetic and embarassing. My nearly shagged list does not make it much longer. My wanna shag list is enormous and impressive.

Sigh. Art imitates life imitates art.

Larry said...

Ditto, with what Dtrini said.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark! Thank you for the visit and cryptic comments on my blog. Your blog is terrific. Looking forward to reading more!
Rose
PS How did you find me?