Wednesday, March 16

Tsunami Miracle

I was away from home when the news hit about the tsunami in southeast Asia. Like many others, I was concerned about the fate of the people affected, but I also shared the concerns about someone I knew.

I worked with Mike in my last gig at a Medical software vendor. Mike was kind of a jack of all trades there, doing everything from backing up the office manager to doubling in tech support and provisioning. He was also a former med student who had, by his own admission, not taken it seriously and he left early on. He also had a girlfriend back in Sri Lanka and he had said that he'd prefer to be back closer to home if he were to resume his studies.

So shortly after I left for my current gig, he also left and started med school in India. Kinda lost touch after a little while.

Then the tsunami hit. I figured that Mike might have been in Sri Lanka at the time. I asked around through my MSN contacts from the old employer: no word from Mike. I got a bit worried. I tried not to think the worst, but I didn't have confirmation either way.

Well, Mike popped up in my MSN a couple of weeks ago but he lost the connection before we could do much more than say "Hi".

Today he popped in again and we got caught up, more or less. Much to my relief, we was okay even though he was in the area where the tsunami hit. His girlfriend is also okay.

So what does this all mean? It means that we get to experience a little of what Mike does when he's not learning to be a doctor. If this whole doctor thing doesn't work out, he should have no problems with a second career.

Welcome back Mike....you've been missed.

1 comment:

Mossy Stone said...

yeah, he kept those talents hidden otherwise I would have jammed with him while he was here.

Your content is safe, by and large...but your URL is another matter entirely. ;-)