Sunday, March 27

So there I was...

...me vs. the Toronto Argonauts.

Okay, so maybe it just seemed that way.

Yours truly was in goal for part of a charity game between 'The Frozen Boatmen' and some alumni from the Canadian Deaf Hockey team. No, I'm not deaf, but the parent of one of The Boy's hockey teammates is; and a damned good hockey player in the bargain. He asked me to come out for the game so he'd have at least one goalie for sure.

It was a fun game and DW even came out to watch. She was sending messages to my crackberry as I was getting changed prior to the game:

DW: (6:25PM) Good luck, hunny
DW: (6:33PM) k, only 3 argos so far...
DW: (6:55PM) OMG one of the argo players came in and he's HUGE
DW: (6:57PM) Um, hunny, what were you thinking??

Of course, this was after asking me (apropos of nothing whatsoever) "hey, you do have your health card, right?" Now, I know she wasn't trying to psych me out or anything, but you have to admit, its a bit of an unnerving question. Visions of being turned into a smear across the crease leapt unbidden to mind.

Unfortunately, the Argos prevailed 6-4, but a good time was had by all. DW enjoyed herself immensely and I played surprisingly well, even though I was feeling a bit sick and playing against some *very* good hockey players. The Argo goalie (who also moonlights as one of their wide receivers) wound up borrowing my blocker and my spare stick because his just weren't up to the task.

I'm up for a rematch anytime, but Andre will have to bring his own stuff next time. ;-)

No comments: