Wednesday, March 30

Now it's my turn to freak the fuck out

Author's note: conspiracy theorists and other paranoids should skip this entry...

My DW spotted these new electric gizmos for the Wondertwins, called 20Q. These are little electronic widgets about the size of a pregnant yo-yo and they play "20 Questions" with you. Now those of you in the studio audience who remember the game of "20 Questions" will know how easy it is to stump the questioner with your answers to such tried & true questions, such as, "Is it animal, vegetable, or mineral?", or even "is it bigger than a bread box?". This little trinket does all that. It also taunts you. No, I'm not kidding.

We figured it would be easy to stump, but the kids would have some fun playing with it.

As creepy as this sounds, I think it can read my mind, 'cause I'm thinking of some wierd-ass shit and it's getting it right!!!

I know what you're thinking: there's no way, right?

Watch this example:

1. Is it Animal? Yes
2. Is it larger than a microwave? No
3. Can it swim? No
4. Does it have fur? No
5. Is it a herbivore? Yes
6. Can you find it on a farm? No

Taunt: you think you can beat me!!!

7. Can you buy it at a store? No
8. Are there many different sorts of it? No
9. Is it brown? No
10. Does it lay eggs? No
11. Can it climb? Unknown
12. Does it live in the forest? Sometimes
13. Can it cheer you up? No
14. Does it have 4 legs? Yes
15. Does it have a long tail? No
16. Does it live in groups? Yes
17. Is it heavy? No
18. Does it weigh more than a duck? No

Taunt: I think I've got you!

19. It it smaller than a loaf of bread? Yes
20. Is it heavier than a pound of butter? No

Taunt: I think I've got it...

Now for everyone in the studio audience who happens to be playing along, what do you think it is?

20Q asks: Is it a naked mole rat?

Fuck me, sideways! That's what we picked!!!! Now how the heck it got "naked mole rat" from those responses, I have no idea. Personally, I'm going with the mind reading. We've only managed to stump it twice. We've thought of some really weird stuff and it gets it.

So I did what I usually do with technology that confuzzles me: I put it down and walk away from it. But in typical Taurus fashion, I have to go back to it. So I do. It guesses right. I get totally creeped out and go searching for alcohol or some kind of hallucinogen. Is this the Furbee of the 21st century? Little plastic gizmos reading our every thoughts? Whata will they come up with next? Cell phones with cameras built-in? Oh wait...

My DW had a bit of fun when she tried to stump it with "love". After the obligatory 20 questions, 20Q cockily replied, "I know...it's a tablelamp!".

Do with that what you will.

As someone once said, "I want to believe!"

(And since its now nearing 11PM, I'm going to go upstairs and get my DW naked. *grin*)

No comments: