Friday, April 29

Don't Panic!!

I'm pretty pumped that the movie adaptation of one of my favourite reads is finally hitting the screens.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is an absolutely brilliant, manic, absurd and wildly funny series of books, authored by the late Douglas Adams. The movie is finally on screens as of today. Unfortunately, with the vacation looming large, DW and I won't get the chance to see it (although we're hoping it might play in the ship's theatre while we're aboard.)

I've heard the BBC radio series, seen the BBC miniseries (cheesy F/X and all) so I'm pretty excited to see this new adaptation. Much like Sahara, I'm going in with an open mind. Nothing beats the original text, but sometimes the big-screen editions do a pretty good job of adapting. However, the same can't be said for Michael Crichton, who packages screenplays as novels and then barfs them up on the screen. John Grisham obviously went to the same writing school.

HG2G is definitely worth a read if you have any appreciation for clever farce and satire a la Monty Python. I can't wait to see the whole show...

4 comments:

Mossy Stone said...

No spoilers, Cricket... ;-)

Dtrini said...

Funny story, thanks to my brother. He lives in Ottawa and often passes an establishment with a strange name that makes him laugh. Then the trailers start showing for this movie that he knows I hold as one of my favourite titles of all time. Well, he felt like an idiot because when he heard the character names, he finally put two and two together. So, he sends me a message saying to please get the books for him and he promises to read them all BEFORE seeing the movie.

The name of the place: Zaphod Beeblebrox!!

:)

joanne said...

I don't know if anyone would believe this, but I never read the Hitchhiker's Guide. I remember when it was so popular too, and I have no idea why I never read it either. I need to just go check it out at the library.

Anonymous said...

To Dtrini if he ever reads it... Zaphod Beeblebrox (colloquially known as Zaphod's) is Ottawa's only cool bar/club as far as many are concerned. of course of those many, most are SF fans... Or "geeks" and "goth/punks" as they are more commonly known.

Ayup. I'm amused to no end that the one reason for us Montrealers to get our asses down to Ottawa was a "curiosity" to your bro. Too cool. Talk about different worlds. :)