Sunday, June 12

Burnt and Burned Out

You can stick a fork in me 'cause I'm definitely done.

We finally made our way back to the hotel around 11:30 last night, nice and worn from a full day of walking the waterfront and The Citadel, and then having a great time at the Football game. I didn't quite pay attention to the whole sunscreen thing today, so my face is a little on the pink side. Oopsie

As far as game quality goes, it was typical pre-season quality (DW described it as "pathetic", although I'm a little more charitable). However, the experience itself was great and its definitely nice to be back in football season again. I've been lucky enouugh to see both recent Argos neutral site pre-season games.

Will a franchise fly in Halifax? Honestly I don't know. The economics are different out there and there's the issue of space for a stadium, to say nothing of the Money required to build it. Any franchise going in would need to do a couple of things right away: First, make sure the team was well-stocked with guys who played football out East (just like Montreal is stocking up with French-speaking/bilingual players.). They will also have to make sure they market the team as belonging to the whole Maritimes, not just Halifax (just like Saskatchewan does). The stadium will have to become an "in demand" facility: CFL, CIS athletics, concerts, other outdoor events...basically so it doesn't remain idle. For the franchise to survive, it will have to be competitive very quickly. Just ask Ottawa how hard that's been.

But enough of that speculation.

I'm tired but happy. We've had a great time out here and we definitely want to go again when we can have more time to savour the sights and the culture and all that.

For me, its just PEI and the Territories left to see. You just gotta love this country!!

All I want to do now is sleeeeeeeeeep.....but I have hockey tonight at 5:00... *sigh*

No comments: