Wednesday, June 1

No, not the Roman Legion

Hmmmm...cuz then I could be on one of those really cool History or Discovery programs!

However, that's not the case. I'm actually being sworn in as a member of the Royal Canadian Legion tonight.

While Canadians will know what the Legion is, the Viewers down in the US will be able to equate us with the American Legion, and the VFW. Strange as it may seem, I qualify as a veteran.

The Legion is a strange contradiction in many ways. It is an organization of exceedingly noble aims, formed by the membership of those who were sent to perform some rather ignoble tasks: the fighting of our wars. If the truth be told, I have never had occasion to serve in an operational role, but I served for over 14 years, working that delicate balance between school and the army, work and the army, and life and the army. No small challenge in this country.

I wrestled with my decision to join, not because I feel its a bad choice, but because I privately wonder if this is another example of Me supporting a bit of a lost cause, or just going against the grain? For example, I am a Canadian who willingly and enthusiastically joined the Army when it wasn't cool to do so. I like and actively support Canadian Football, and not everyone thinks that's such a cool thing. When I learned to play hockey, I wanted to be a Goalie. And now, I join the Legion (with its aging and declining membership) more out of a sense of duty and responsibility to the organization and its aims than anything else.

As an example, of the 10 people being sworn in tonight, I am the only "Ordinary" member, eg one with qualifying military service. The bulk of the others ("Associate" members)are those who have relatives with qualifying service, but none of their own. There are a few Non-voting members who are joining to get involved in Legion-associated programs. (It seems germane to point out that my Membership should drop the median age point by at least 5 years.). We'll see what contributions I can make, in my own way. If nothing else, I feel I'm trying to do my bit to promote the greater "Canadian" good.

So, here I am...against the grain and taking the road less travelled. Story of my life, really. All things considered, I'd probably do it this way again.

7 comments:

Larry said...

"Greater 'Canadian' good". I theorize that such a thing does not exist.

"Blame Canada! Blame Canada!"

I all seriousness it is nice to see someone actually wanting to give of their time to help people.

Mossy Stone said...

Knowing what passes for humour in the US, I know that any time I see an American with his shoes tied and his fly zipped, I know he's doing his best. ;-)
(With apologies to W.E.B. Griffin)

*grin*

Stephen said...

saaa-lute!

Penny said...

Hey, wanna come home and play Army? You lay down and...

Larry said...

I'm there.

Oh, you weren't talking to me?

Damn.

Penny said...

Nope, sorry Charlie... er... Larry.

Anonymous said...

Right on Comrade, welcome to the Royal Canadian Legion! I'm one of those associate types (well actually I've been awarded Life Membership) who carries the torch for her family members and late husband.

Join me in spreading the word for honouring vets in this The Year of the Veteran. Visit my blog at www.outoftheshadows.ca and see my post at the top.