Wednesday, June 1

No victory is a small one...

It's rare for me to write about work happenings, but I had to celebrate this one.

I'm responsible for all of our internal and external training, and we have one department who is a primary "customer." Normally, this is a good thing, except when the head of said department functions at High Panic levels throughout the day (see also: Spin-Dry.) This person is hereafter known as Spin Master. (Not to be confused with Spin Doctor.)

There isn't a person on my team or beyond who hasn't had some kind of run-in with SM, so it's now a quaint part of our corporate culture. Meetings and phone calls with SM are ususally dreaded and endured.

But, I digress.

Whenever we get ready with a new client release, we normally arrange for some sort of training event/session for SM's team, but with shifting dates and other things, SM usually goes into a tail-spin and rants about scheduling and coverage and workload....except for the fact that his team isn't carrying a big workload right now and is currently under-utilized. One of my right-hand cohorts has spent some time up at SM's location to conduct events and also to help pilot our e-learning work.

This week's madness was a new client pilot event. This is a very small pilot and the short version is that the impact on SM's team will be miniscule. Maybe one event per month. Yours truly makes use of his grey matter and determines that, in light of current workloads and the potential impact, that a formal training session isn't required and that we can simply make the appropriate reference materials available to SM's team and then if, and that's a big "if", an event occurs, then the staff know where to find the reference material to handle it. Seems simple enough, right?

SM's first response, "So when are we getting training on this?"

Me: *blank stare into phone*

When later informed that we didn't feel that training was required, SM went ape-shit.

So, I hauled SM down to my cube and figured I'd lay it all out for dicussion.

I set aside an entire hour for histrionics.

SM: hey, this looks simple, we can handle it ourselves.

Me: *mentally picking self up from floor*

It was a Bizzarro moment: No arguements, no whining, no crying jags, no complaints....

All my days should go like this!

(P.S. Also managed to sort out a misinformed client about some of their training requirements when my favourite Project Mangler dumped yet another short notice requirement on me. God save me from Engineers who think they have a clue...) I'm two-for-two today!

7 comments:

Larry said...

I would not have commented on this except for your great comment, " God save me from Engineers who think they have a clue.."

I used to work at a factory building electric transformers. Engineers and drafters would design and develope specs for a project. We would get the specs and try to build the unit. Here is where we had problems. Everything always looked good on paper but rarely if ever went together according to specs. Teh engineers would come over and point at the paper and say, "Do it like this...It will work." My comment or a comment of one of the other grunts around me would almost always be something like, "Okay then you show me how you are going to fit that 4 inch bolt into the 2 inch space."

God bless em. They make everything so difficult.

Mossy Stone said...

I realize that its a blanket indictment of all those who are in the PEng. realm. I refer only to those who think that their feces are odour-free because of their exalted status as Engineers...particularly those who become IT Project Manglers.

Mossy Stone said...

Larry, you've been added as well.

Larry said...

Yes, I have to agree there were one or two engineers that were alright, no drafters though(funny that).

duff said...

what? a spin doctors reference?

little miss, little miss, little miss can't be wrong.......

actually, i liked "two princes" much better.

Mossy Stone said...

You and your damned earworms, duff!

Dtrini said...

SM is one of my favourite toys. I have set aside a bucket of quarters just to use on him all year long.