Wednesday, June 1

May I never be this kind of hockey dad.

This guy proves that love for your children can go too far.

Long story short, his kid was a high-scorer and good player in his AAA league in New Brunswick. Kid won, rightfully, the high scorer award but was passed over for MVP.

Result? Father goes bug-shit.

Felt his kid deserved the MVP (and what parent doesn't, really?) Actually sued Hockey Canada (the governing body) because, according to a recent Globe and Mail report, "He alleges that Hockey Canada, the sole governing body for amateur hockey, robbed his son of not merely a plaque but of fundamental human rights."

Rrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhht.....

Hockey Canada has a rule that if a parent raises a legal challenge of some kind, then the child is suspended from play for the duration of the legal action. Lawsuit with Hockey Canada? Failed. Human Rights challenge? Dismissed. Federal Court challenge? Dismissed.

Result for kid? Now 19, and attending university, missed out on balance of developmental and competitive play and currently plays in a men's league. Father admits that the kid was probably going to be too small for the NHL, but "probably missed out on some scholarships". Probably? So this wasn't a sure thing?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone push so much allegedly for their kid since Eric Lindros hit the NHL. (and don't get me started on that one)

Is it possible for the kid to sue his parents for sabotaging his dreams? Because that's exactly what he did. A wiser parent would have taken the high road, because it's not about awards and its not about recognition; it's about having fun playing the game. An MVP award is about who is the Most Valuable Player, either to their team or to the league as a whole. Scoring goals doesn't make you valuable. Useful, perhaps, but not valuable. If I was coaching, I'd rather have a kid who showed up, skated hard and inspired others through sheer personality and leadership than some kid who burns out the goal light.

As for you, Mr. Michel Croteau, you represent the very worst in Hockey Parenting, and parental examples. You are, however, a shining beacon for avoidance of your folly. If we can stop one future hockey parent from being like you, so much the better.

5 comments:

Larry said...

First off, I am now adding you to my links. I love hockey and everything about it(even the apeshit parents, I have definitely seen some go too far. Hell, a couple of weeks ago in my adult league one of my teammates got jumped on the way back to the lockerroom by a father and son who played on the other team).

That being said, if I ever have a child and they are into any sort of activity I will always support them but a legal challenge over an MVP trophy(definitely straight out of the Lindros and His Daddy files)? What an F'in idiot.

I know plenty of defensemen and goalies who help out their respective teams more than the highscoring forward(not that some of these aren't the MVP of their teams).

Why are the children penalized for their parents' legal action? That is something a parent should sue over. The kids are just being kids.

Mossy Stone said...

This goalie and former team administrator thanks you. ;-)

Larry said...

Hell, if you ever need a D-man with hands of stone and the ability to incite a riot, you know where to find me.

Mossy Stone said...

lol

Wanna play in the Toronto area? My 2 rec teams need good "D"!

Isn't there a regular St. Louis - Toronto shuttle? ;-)

Larry said...

I wish. you canadians could only make me better. I took 8 years of from ice and until 8 months ago 2 years off from any(roller) hockey. I am starting to play with a group of guys down here who are damn good a few of them are affiliated with the UHL team down here and everyone is 10X better than me but I am getting it back slowly.